Thrift vs. Consignment vs. Thrifty Boutique
What’s the difference between a thrift store and a consignment store? Apparently, Facebook doesn’t think there’s much of one, because they list both categories together. As a result, we get calls fairly regularly from people who don’t know which one we are.
To cut to the chase, The Purple Cow is a thrift store, or as we prefer to refer to ourselves, a “thrifty boutique”.
Thrift stores are usually non-profit and support a cause, ministry, organization, etc. Consignment stores are for profit. Proceeds from The Purple Cow go to support The Christian Outreach Center of Baton Rouge, which is a homeless prevention ministry in the downtown area. Structurally, TPC and the COC aren’t two separate organizations; TPC thrift stores are a branch of the COC.
Thrift stores are supplied by tax-deductible donations. Consignment stores pay for their merchandise either up front or when an item sells.
Some people would generally say that consignment stores have nicer items, compared to the average thrift store. This is where the “thrifty boutique” description kicks in for TPC. Often in thrift stores, items are moderately to heavily used. They might have a tear, a smell, and/or a stain.
At TPC, our merchandise is heavily curated. Everything is gently used. In fact, donated items that are more typical of a thrift store are donated by us to other thrift stores in the area. Sometimes, we even sell new merchandise that gets donated.
If you’ve never been to TPC before, here are some reasons why you should give our “thrifty boutique” a try:
– Our merchandise is gently-used/high quality.
– You’ll save up to 80% off retail; we are MUCH CHEAPER than consignment. Much cheaper. However, sometimes we are a tad higher than other thrift stores because of the quality of what we carry and the way we’re organized.
– We carry everything from inexpensive up to designer name brands. We have many business people, other professionals, and even elected officials who shop with us.
– Our floor is organized by category, size, and color. It’s also clean and smells nice.
– Both of our stores have the same values, but offer slightly different shopping experiences. You should try them both. Some people say, “Jones Creek is my store!” While others say, “Perkins Road is my jam!” Many love and shop at both.
– We give you a high level of customer service; in fact, it’s one of the things we’re known for. We can even help you to accessorize your outfit, and we always go the extra mile.
– “Boutique” for us refers to quality, but not size. We’re not a small, cramped store. Our stores are big without being too big. Our Jones Creek store is 15,000 square feet, and our Perkins store is 12,500 square feet.
But one of the main things that makes us stand out is that we are a Christian business with a mission to help people go from being homeless to being self-sufficient. When you donate to or buy from us, you are making a difference right here in Downtown Baton Rouge. You are getting a great quality item at a great price, and it’s going to a great cause. That’s a win-win for everybody!
Come see us!